Junior Code & Zoning Analyst
KM Associates of New York, Inc. provides expediting services and code & zoning consulting services to the architecture, design, and construction industries.
The Junior Code and Zoning Analyst plays a pivotal role in maintaining excellent communication with clients, ensuring compliance with building codes and zoning regulations, and facilitating the successful completion of projects. This position requires a high level of professionalism, in-depth knowledge of NYC codes and zoning resolutions. This role provides a valuable learning experience and serves as the foundation for building expertise in code and zoning analysis. The ideal candidate is self-reliant and a self-starter.
This is a full-time (M-F) position located onsite at the KM Associates office in Manhattan.
Essential Job Functions
Conduct Code Analysis:
- Support senior specialists in analyzing the NYC building codes and zoning requirements for diverse projects.
- Learn how to identify compliance issues and propose solutions to ensure adherence to regulations.
Documentation and Communication:
- Prepare basic code and zoning communications and reports under supervision.
- Learn to maintain accurate and organized records of code-related information and correspondence.
- Effectively communicate with clients, addressing their inquiries and providing basic explanations of code and zoning matters.
- Communicate and coordinate with city agencies regarding applications, permits, and other code-related matters.
- Understand the city agency processes and forms required for various application filings related to building permits and zoning approvals.
- Provide support to Project Managers and Coordinators in code and zoning matters for ongoing projects.
- Assist in scoping new projects and gathering necessary information for initial assessments.
Research and Updates:
- Stay informed about updates and changes in building codes, zoning resolutions, and related regulations.
- Assist in summarizing and sharing updates within the team.
- Record and document the time spent on project-related research.
- Ensure timely submission of service billing.
- Handle basic administrative tasks related to code and zoning, such as organizing files, scheduling meetings, and managing documentation.
Knowledge and Ability
- Strong interest in building codes, zoning regulations, and land use.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Self-reliant and a self-starter, able to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Eagerness to learn and adapt to changing regulations and processes.
- Preferably CLASS 2 – Code & Zoning Representative License; minimum CLASS1 – Filing Representative.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Education and Experience
- Must have bachelor’s degree in urban planning, architecture, engineering, or a related field (or in progress) or 2 -3 years’ experience in the construction and expediting industry with a background in NYC Building Code.