At KM Associates, we understand that navigating the complex world of approvals and permits can be a daunting task for building owners and developers. That’s why we’ve created this section to provide you with valuable information and insights into the process.

Whether you’re starting a new construction project or looking to expand an existing property, our team of experts can help you every step of the way. And if you can’t find the answer to your question here, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 212-563-6760 or info@kmaofny.com

Let us take the stress out of approvals and permits. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you achieve your goals!

Codes and Permits

Do I need a permit to make emergency repairs?

The New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) allows you to make emergency repairs without a permit. Please note this applies only to dangerous situations that could cause further damage to property or harm to individuals. However, you are required to submit an application to the DOB for a permit within two business days after beginning emergency repairs. Your application must include a description of the emergency conditions and how you mitigated the hazard. If you are not sure whether your work constitutes an emergency repair, call our office.

When is construction permitted in New York City?

Construction within city limits is permitted from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday. In some cases, variances can be obtained from the Department of Buildings to allow construction work outside normal hours.

If you are looking to work on a site in the late evenings, early mornings, or weekends, you will need a special permit that we can obtain for you.

What happens if I don’t get a permit for my work?

Undertaking any construction work without the requisite permit may result in the issuance of a “Stop Work Order” and attract violations, summonses, court appearances, and substantial fines. Neglecting to obtain the necessary permits from the outset may ultimately prove to be a significantly more expensive and time-consuming process than following the appropriate legal channels.

What type of work requires a Department of Buildings permit?

Generally, in New York you must get a building permit for such projects as construction, demolition, plumbing work, paving, and more. However, some minor alterations or ordinary repairs do not require a work permit.

If you are still unsure about whether or not you need a permit, call us at 212-563-6760. We will help you get all the necessary approvals and permits to complete your project.

What building code am I supposed to use?

If you are not well-versed in New York City’s building codes, it can be challenging to determine the necessary requirements. The code applicable to your building depends on its construction year and whether it has undergone any upgrades to meet the current code standards. With frequent updates to the codes, including ongoing modifications, it can be an intricate process to navigate. As such, we recommend contacting KM Associates to help facilitate your project and ensure compliance with the latest code regulations.

Filing Representatives

What do filing representatives and code consultants do?

We help determine which permits you need for any construction work that you are planning. Then we file the appropriate paperwork with the appropriate agency to get approvals and permits for your building project. We also review drawings to ensure that they are up to code and to help minimize any objections the city agencies may have when reviewing your submission.

Why do I need a filing representative or code consultant?

Because we can ensure your project will move much faster. New York City is more complicated than many other regions when it comes to building codes and zoning laws. KM Associates interacts daily with the Department of Buildings (DOB) to file applications, obtain approvals, conduct research and signoffs with the agency, or meet with all levels of the DOB staff. Our main goal (or objective) is assisting you in meeting your construction target dates.

If you need to get permits for your building project or have received a “Stop Work Order” because of violations or objections, call us, and we will resolve the problem for you.