|Temporary Place of Assembly (TPA) permits are required; by the New York City Department of Buildings (DOB) and Fire Department (FDNY) for gatherings of 75 or more people indoors and large outdoor gatherings of 200 people or more. Specifically, when a space does not have a Place of Assembly Certificate of Occupancy (PACO).
The criteria are:
- 75 or more people in an indoor space
- 200 or more people in a confined outdoor space
- When the expected attendance exceeds the approved occupancy for an existing Public Assembly space.
- File TPA requests with the DOB at least 30-45 days before the event date.
- Requests filed with DOB within 10-days of the event will incur additional penalties for each day after the 10-day cutoff timeframe.
- Requests filed with DOB within five days of the event may not be processed timely.
- To file for a TPA, submit a drawing that specifies the layout, fire protection details, exit signs, emergency lighting, ADA accessibility, fireguards, and other relevant information.
Note: All TPAs may be subject to inspection by both the DOB and FDNY at any time. Should the DOB and FDNY choose to visit the event site while the event is underway, a service charge for their inspection (s) may apply.
DOB inspection – No fee
Schedule of FDNY TPA Inspection Fees (fees are based on the number of occupants listed on the DOB’s approved TPA permit):
- Occupancy: 75 to 149 = $415.00
- Occupancy: 150 to 499 = $520.00
- Occupancy: 500 to 999 = $625.00
- Occupancy: 1,000 to 2,499 = $725.00
- Occupancy: 2,500 to 9,999 = $830.00
- Occupancy: 10,000 or greater, and arenas and stadiums (per hour) = $210.00
Additional requirements may apply if the event is on a public street or park. For example, the Department of Transportation and Fire Department flame permits for grills, sternos, ovens, etc.
If you need our assistance, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (212) 563-6760. We’ll be glad to help.
KM Associates has moved! Please update your records with our new address: 14 Penn Plaza – 16th Floor, NY, NY 10122